Friday, October 29, 2010

Boy


Boy, Roald Dahl's autobiography focusing on his childhood, is a humorous story that describes many isolated events and stories from his memories that are eerily similar to the stories that have become the plots of his novels. People who are huge fans of Dahl's work - like me - will enjoy this book and find the ways his life inspired so many of his plots amusing...but I honestly wasn't as swept away by this one as I was anticipating. My expectations may have been too high because of my love for his other books, but I just didn't find it to be at the same level as his novels. I did, though, still enjoy this one, and think it would be an excellent choice for a middle school student, especially if you are assigning or teaching a unit on autobiographies or nonfiction. Regardless of my slight disappointment, this is still a good book and would be interesting and engaging for middle school students, especially rambunctious and adventurous boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment