Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Lovely Bones


I'm a little delayed in posting this, but I read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold over the summer, and was pretty disappointed. This was one of those books that I'd heard about for years and always been intrigued by, and finally had the opportunity to actually read. It was a very interesting plot and it definitely kept me interested, but there was too much content that I found inappopriate and unnecessary for middle school students. The plot of the novel is by nature fairly advanced and inappropriate for young students, but I thought this Sebold took the content to places that were unneccessary (quite a bit of teenage sex, pedophilic fantasies, strange depictions of life after death, etc.). It's an interesting book, but I would definitely not recommend it for middle school students.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that too about the book -- the inhabiting the other person's body, etc., got a little weird. The movie is less focused on that though, and in my opinion, maybe better. Although it's been a few years since I read the book.

    ReplyDelete