Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Henry's Freedom Box


I read this book several years ago with a seventh grade boy I was tutoring, and we both loved it. When I was given a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble yesterday for my birthday (always my favorite gift), I knew going into the store that I wanted a picture book. After browsing the picture book section and having to tear my heart away from several others, I knew that this was the one I needed to add to my bookshelf. This book is awesome. The illustrations are beautiful, and the story is heartwrenching. The true story of Henry "Box" Brown, the book starts with Henry as a child, ageless due to his lack of an acknowledged birthday because he is a slave. As the book progresses, so does Henry's life. The small boy grows into an adolescent, then a teenager, then a married man with two small children. When Henry's master sells his family, he realizes he will never see his loved ones again and that his only option is to find freedom through the Underground Railroad. Historically acurate and engaging, this book would be great for an English classroom or a History classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment