Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire




This is another book that's been on my list for a long time, and I figured the summer before I myself am teaching like my hair is on fire might be a good time to actually read it. Although the author of this particular teacher memoir is an elementary teacher - and teaches at a school where homeroom teacher is also P.E. teacher, music teacher, and art teacher - and therefore teaches about six more subjects than I will, there was a lot that I learned from this book. To be completely honest, several chapters were skipped in the interest of relevance to me. One or two other chapters were skipped because the methods and activities he spends considerable amounts of time developing with his students are way more involved than I will be able to manage during my first five years of teaching at least. What was left, though, were excellent nuggets of advice and classroom management techniques that I will definitely think about and use when approaching the start of my classroom. He clearly shows the love he has for his job as he shares stories of students past and present, but also reveals valid and refreshing frustration with administration and policy that doesn't advocate for the best use of time or efforts as far as the students are concerned. I really enjoyed reading this book and will definitely reference several of the chapters and passages once the school year starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment