Monday, July 11, 2011

Antsy Does Time




It's been forever since I've updated this blog and posted anything, but I've been reading like a maniac. This book, even though I actually read it a couple weeks ago at this point, has made a lasting impression on me. I loved this book. LOVED it. I thought it was hilarious, unique, witty, and memorable. Since I finished it, I've tried to pass it on to several people - ranging in age from 10 to 17 to 30 - and even though I haven't gotten anyone to read it yet, I'm determined.




Antsy Bonano, protagonist/narrator, starts the plot's ball rolling when he makes a kind and seemingly harmless gesture toward a dying classmate, Gunnar: he signs over a month of his life. News of this gesture spreads throughout the school and ultimately the community, and Antsy quickly becomes the poster child for generosity and compassion. As more and more people decide to follow suit and sign over months of their lives to Gunnar as well, things begin to spiral out of control. Add in an involved Grapes of Wrath project, a crush on an older and beautiful girl, and parents who are highly distracted by the family-run restaurant, and Antsy Does Time comes together with an original and hilarious story. There's also no inappropriate content and very few - minor - curse words, which I always appreciate as well. I should also mention that this is technically a sequel, but I haven't read the first book, The Schwa Was Here, yet and it was completely fine. I never felt like I couldn't follow what was going on or that I was missing plot points from the first book. I loved it, and will be recommending it to as many people/students as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment