Friday, July 22, 2011

Betti on the High Wire



I first heard about this book, like almost everything I read, from a book blog. The person reviewing it was enthusiastic about it and I remember them saying that it was great. Based on the description alone, I figured I would love it. A young girl living in an abandoned circus in a war-torn country who gets adopted by Americans and has to adjust to a strange new world? I am more than slightly obssessed with anything involving adoption, and who wouldn't love a book about a circus girl? And the cover is gorgeous. I have to be completely honest, though, and say that even though it has a lot going for it, I didn't love it as much as I thought/hoped/assumed I would. And what's weird is that I still can't really pinpoint why.


The basic plot is pretty much what I just described. The plot is told from Betti's point of view, and after she arrives in America she has all kinds of funny and strange ways of interpreting the culture we so quickly think of as normal; that provides many moments of both humor and reflection as the reader sees their life through new eyes. Your heart breaks for Betti as you watch her try to communicate with people and fail, either because words she knows are forgotten in the moment of pressure or because she doesn't understand what's going on. Her adoptive parents, however, are gracious, patient, and unconditionally loving. No matter how many plans Betti enacts to try to convince them to send her back home, they forgive immediately and show her that they will never become so tired of her or so angry with her that they send her away. All of these are wonderful and endearing qualities in this book, and so I still can't figure out why I didn't love it even as I sit here and type this. But the truth is that I didn't love it...I liked it very much and I thought it was very sweet, but there I felt that the majority of the plot was slow and somewhat boring. I'm not sure if many middle school students would fall in love with it, but it's completely appropriate for the age group and will be included on my shelf if not only for the sake of having it available. Maybe a student will read it and be able to explain to me why I didn't love it...or maybe why I should, afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment