Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief


Before this book became a movie, I had never heard of it. After it became a movie, I felt like it was all I heard about. To be honest, Fantasy/Science Fiction has never really been a genre that interested me, but I saw so many kids reading these books and saw them on so many classroom bookshelves that I figured it would be smart to have an opinion about them if I'm ever asked. And honestly, my opinion is that I love this book. It's immediately interesting and confusing in a way that you can't put it down because you'll be bugged as you go throughout the rest of the day wondering why the toilet exploded or how the bully ended up in the fountain. It is very well written...clever and catchy and it sucks you right in. I also really appreciated that it's not obvious. I'm not a young adult or a middle school student, and sometimes when adults read books written for younger people the twists and turns don't really seem too twisty or turny. This book, though, kept me guessing and thinking and trying so hard to remember something about Greek mythology or put together a piece of the puzzle before Riordan revealed it...but I usually wasn't able to and ended up being as surprised as he had intended. This book is good. So good that I have abandoned the plan and am not reading Diary of a Wimpy kid next. I'm sure that that book is great too and I'll have all kinds of encouraging and interesting things to say about that series...but for now, I'm starting Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment