Thursday, November 11, 2010

Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters


As promised, I read the next Percy Jackson book, The Sea of Monsters, next. And I loved it just as much as the first one. Honestly, I laugh out loud when I read these books. They're so clever and witty and...hilarious. Even for me, someone quite a bit older than the target audience. This one launches right into a new plot, finding Percy at the end of the following school year at a new private school. It's his last day of school and he's gone completely accident and expulsion free for a whole school year (a first for him), until he goes to P.E. and....weird things start happening. And that's all I'll say about that, because it's a fun opening scene and I don't want to spoil it. Just like the first book, Sea of Monsters has a lot of twists and turns and fun new mythological stories to keep you guessing and appropriately confused. Fun new monsters come into the mix, and some interesting and problematic issues from the first book carry over into this one. New developments between Percy and Annabeth are hinted at throughout the book, which made the middle school girl in me pretty excited. We'll see what happens there, though, because a surprise cliffhanger of an ending may mess with that a little bit...which would make the middle school girl in me fairly put out. Despite being slightly shorter, Book 2 is just as exciting, fun, and engaging as Book 1, and I can't wait for the developments that take place in Book 3. (Yep. I'm continuing in this Percy rut 'till the bitter end. Diary of a Wimpy Kid will just have to keep waiting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment