Friday, March 18, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society


Set in post-World War II London and the British island Guernsey, this book is written entirely in the letters that are sent as correspondance between each of the characters. This somewhat unique approach - or at the very least, uncommon - brings the characters so much more to life than I had expected. Virtually no character or plot development is lost through this method, and I actually think that I grew to love the characters more because I got to know them through their letter-writing. (Also, it made me really want to write letters. And receive them. And immediately join a book club.) I know I have a tendency to be generous with my support and flowery adjectives and gushes of being in love with every new book I read, so I'll spare you from that this time and just simply say: this book is really good. It's special. The characters are immediately endearing and charming; the setting is unique to me as the 20-something American who has not recently survived a war fought in my own city; the insights and perspectives offered regarding the German occupation of the island of Guernsey during World War II are honestly far beyond what I'd ever seriously considered as true events that took place. It's good...it's really, really good. The friend who recommended it to me said that her mother had given it to her for Christmas, and that both of them had already read it several times because they missed the characters so much. At the time this sounded slightly silly, but now I understand. I dearly wish that Juliet was a real person in my life. I would write her a letter a day just so I could receive her hilarious and witty responses. I honestly would.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too. So much I gave it to my mother for Christmas! Great review.

    ReplyDelete