Friday, March 25, 2011

Matched


Alright. I finished this book not 30 seconds ago, and I have to be completely honest. I struggled with the first...eh...180 to 200 pages. I know that sounds like a lot of text to read while struggling with it, and it is. I wasn't struggling because I wasn't interested, though, or because the writing was bad. I was and it definitely wasn't. From the first review/synopsis I read of this book I've been genuinely intrigued and antsy to read it, and I wasn't disappointed in the plot - even during the first 180 to 200 pages. I was disappointed, though, and I did struggle with the way that the setting seemed to be a subtle rip-off of The Hunger Games. The Society of Matched is eerily similar to the Capitol of The Hunger Games; the love triangle irked me as a Katniss/Gale/Peeta copycat. Now that I've finished the book, however, I've moved on and realized that A) I don't have a lot of experience reading books that take place in the future, and maybe all these authors are just seeing the writing on the wall and doing a good job of predicting the same horrible future for us, and B) Katniss doesn't own the love triangle concept, they're just common. Period. Now that I've gotten that - and the first 200ish pages - out of the way, here's what I really think about it:

Wow. I have learned some things about myself while reading this book. For starters, I'm apparently a sucker for fictional boys. Kind of obnoxiously so. I did a much better job of resisting the wiles of Ky than I did Peeta's, but what does it really matter in the end? I fell for that charm and I fell hard. I like Ky. Of course the problem is that I like Xander. (In case you didn't catch it, this is the love triangle element.) The weird thing is that it took me most of those 200ish pages to like Cassia, the main character/antagonist/narrator. I saw her as weak and flighty...a big part of me wanted to keep comparing her to Katniss and Katniss kept winning. But, also in the end, I moved on. They're two completely different characters and Cassia wisens up considerably, changing from that weak and flighty girl into a headstrong rebel that the Girl on Fire would be proud to march alongside of. (Wow...if you haven't read The Hunger Games, you are so lost. But honestly, you've had a couple years to get on board. Read those books immediately.) As I closed the book for the last time just minutes ago, I decided that I definitely love this book. My feelings went from a mild "eh" to concrete enthusiasm, and I would recommend it without a hesitation. I also appreciate that it seems to be set up for a sequel...I just love sequels. It's so hard for me to say goodbye to characters I have come to love. And I did come to love these characters.

The more blogposts/reviews I write, the more I realize how I am so hit or miss. Sometimes I'm straight to the point and just explain myself. And other times I'm bouncing all over the place. Since this is Friday afternoon and I've been alone at work against my will for two and a half hours now, this is one of the bouncier ones. I'm really sorry about that. Here, succinct and to the point, is my review: Slow start, but comes together in the end. Loved it. Go check it out.

Happy weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I like your summary three sentence review :) Thanks for recommending it, but I don't think as I've finished it that I liked it. I did get pretty attached to reading it, but I think that's because I wanted it to get better. The plot didn't have meat in it; the biggest struggle for Cassia was who she was going to fall in love with, not a fight for other people - like... Katniss. I agree, too hard not to compare :)

    ReplyDelete