Thursday, December 2, 2010

Percy Jackson: The Battle of the Labyrinth


This is the fourth and second-to-last book in the Percy Jackson series, and Percy continues to battle monsters, halfblood friends turned evil, and the rise of a falled Titan lord trying to destroy the world alongside his best friends Annabeth, Tyson, and Grover. I shared in my last Percy post that I thought the third book lacked some of the umph that I loved so much in the first two books, and just as I predicted the umph is back. To be honest, I found that there were points throughout the plot that could have been a little bit faster or more interesting, and there were also moments where I questioned the success of the sheer number of scrapes and difficult situations Percy is presented with - the monsters are neverending in the labryinth - but I was pleased overall. To be honest about something a little bit more petty...I'm slightly worried about the presence of this Rachel Elizabeth Dare character and how she may affect the romance I've been waiting for between Percy and Annabeth. I like Rachel and all...but if she ruins the story line I've been waiting like an eleven year old girl for since Book 1, I'll be pretty put out.
I also want to take this moment to point out that THREE of my male students are now reading The Lightening Thief. After reading Percy in front of them for the last four weeks, using Percy passages as examples during my lessons, and shamelessly advertising Percy, I'm choosing to take full responsibility. And I'm basking in this proud teacher momma moment, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment