Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fires in the Middle School Bathroom


I loved this book. I knew I would...how could you not? A book full of advice for how to be a better teacher written almost entirely as quotes from middle schoolers? Priceless. It's funny, heartwrenching, convicting, embarassing, encouraging, and inconsistent. It's all of those things because middle schoolers are all of those things. Reading this book after my student teaching experience was probably what made it so beneficial, honestly. I could read it with the voices of my kids echoing their sentiment, and I could see vivid examples of the times I could have done better...the techniques I could have implemented. There are so many painfully simple ideas presented throughout this book that could have eliminated so many of the recurring problems that I faced during student teaching, but it's okay. I can implement them now. An incredibly easy read, you will fly through it in no time at all and be able to resume your teaching lives wiser and much more in tune with what your students want from you. If you're a teacher, preparing to be a teacher, or hope to one day interact with a middle schooler...read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment