Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Wednesday Wars


Remember all that time when I was done with Mockingjay but hadn't written my review of it yet? I was reading this book. This was one of my book fair purchases from a month or so ago, and I chose to read it then mostly as a placeholder for the rest of 2010 while I was waiting to read my first Historical Fiction book for the 2011 challenge. When I first started the book - and for the first 35 or 40 pages - I didn't really find this book all that interesting. I wanted it to be interesting, what with the fun cover and the fact that it takes place on Long Island during the Vietnam war and the interesting plot of a teacher at war with a student. It was a struggle to keep pushing through it...until I hit the page that finally grabbed me and from then on I was sucked in. I can honestly say that I love this book. It does, in my opinion, have a slow start, but once you push beyond that it's fantastic. The characters feel real...they act and sound and speak like seventh graders. The relationship between Holling, the main character, and his teacher Mrs. Baker is genuine, to the point of making me laugh out loud in one particular scene where Holling gives her advice on what not to do in front of the classroom ("don't stand with your arms folded" was one that I identified with...I have to admit I was told that once while I was in front of a classroom). Holling's family is complex and heartbreaking at times, and it's easy to find yourself becoming emotionally invested in the events that shape their relationships. I think this book is written beautifully, blending hilarious moments with truly touching ones. I highly recommend this book...you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment